Claiming Moving Expenses

Did you know that if you moved 4o kilometres to be closer to work or school (full time students), you could claim the following moving expenses?

Eligible Expenses:

  • storage, packing, movers, insurance
  • transportation and vehicle expenses
  • temporary lodging and meals up to 15 days for you and your household members
  • changing your address on legal documents
  • the cost of cancelling your lease
  • utility hook-ups and disconnections
  • cost to maintain old home when vacant to a max of $5,000 (interest, property taxes, insurance, utility expenses)
  • cost of selling your old home (advertising, legal fees, commission, and mortgage penalties if applicable)

Ineligible Expenses:

  • expenses for work done to make your old home more saleable
  • any loss from the sale of your home
  • travel expenses for house hunting trips
  • value of items movers refuse to take (i.e. plants, paint, ammunition)
  • expense to clean/repair a rental
  • mail forwarding costs (Canada Post)
  • mortgage default insurance
  • cost incurred in the sale of your old home if you delayed selling for investment purposes or waiting for the market to improve

For more information on this subject, visit the Canada Revenue Agency Website. JC REALTY REGINA strongly recommends that you consult a certified accountant before filing your  income tax return. Don't have an accountant, we can refer you!

Post a Comment